AVPA Music Auditions for 2015-2016
To join AVPA Music, please follow these steps:
1) Parent/Guardian has filled out the NEW or RETURNING Student Registration online form (link at www.avpa.org - click on “apply”)
2) Student has filled out the AVPA Music Enrollment Form
3) NEW students have turned in Signature Page of the Student/Parent Handbook (available at www.avpa.org - click on “apply”)
4) Sign up for an audition/interview:
• All New and Returning vocalists will audition on Tuesday, September 1, 3:15-4:15pm for Chamber Singers (required of all vocal majors and any students who wish to join Chamber Singers). For vocalists who are auditioning as a Music Major or Minor and who wish to be considered as a featured soloist with our ensembles, you will audition beginning at 4:30pm with your prepared solo.
• All NEW instrumental students auditioning for AVPA Music but who will not be joining String Ensemble or Jazz Combo – sign up to audition on Monday, August 31 or Wednesday, Sept 2.
• All NEW string students (violin, viola, cello, upright bass) – sign up to audition on Wednesday, September 2 for AVPA Music and String Ensemble with Dr. Tania Fleischer.
• All new and returning students who wish to join Jazz Combo must audition on Thurs., Sept. 3.
• Returning instrumentalistsnot auditioning for String Ensemble or Jazz Combo may choose to audition for the program with Dr. Spano on Monday or Wednesday (audition not required for returning instrumentalists, though may be requested).
NOTE:Winds/Percussion auditions for Orchestra performance on October 29 concert – please sign up to audition Wednesday afternoon.
The instrumentation available to audition:
Oboes (flute can audition)
Bassoon (bass clarinet can audition)
Horn (sax can audition - will have to transpose)
Cymbals, Triangle, Bass Drum
What to prepare…
Returning and New students in Instrumental Music: prepare a short excerpt of music that best demonstrates your technical and musical abilities (from a solo, etude, ensemble piece, etc.). You will be asked to perform major and minor scales – please be prepared to play requested scales from memory. Interview will take place along with the music audition. New students must play an audition. Returning students have the option to audition.
Returning and New students in Vocal Music:
- Vocal Auditions: All vocalists wishing to audition for AVPA Music Department must attend the general audition scheduled for Sept 1. Please note: this is for all AVPA students who wish to become a member of the music company (major or minor) and for featured vocalist positions with all ensembles. Please prepare a short excerpt (32 bars preferred) of a standard musical theatre or classical work. You will perform this after the general audition at 4:30pm.
- Chamber Singers auditions areTuesday, Sept 1, 3:15-4:15 pm, in room 94. Do not prepare any music. Warm ups and an excerpt will be taught to those auditioning. This audition is for all singers interested in joining Chamber Singers, separate from the vocal major audition. This audition is for a full-year’s commitment, including participation in various community performances along with major AVPA music concerts.
NOTE: ALL NEW MUSIC students take a written music theory evaluation (Monday, Sept. 14, 3:30pm).
AVPA Foundation is a parent-founded and parent-led volunteer organization that raises funds for our program and coordinates volunteers. Donations are requested from each family to support the many activities of AVPA, including teaching artists, materials, equipment, supplies, field trips, workshops, and classes. We ask for a $100 donation each semester ($200 annual), preferably to be made in the first 3 weeks of the semester. Checks and cash are accepted (made to: AVPA Foundation), and we also accept credit cards (see. Dr. Spano). No student’s participation in AVPA is affected by their ability or lack of ability to make donations.
We also organize fundraisers throughout the year, both for the Music department as well as AVPA in general. Major events include our mattress fundraiser on Sept 26, a bowl-a-thon in December, and Java Gala in June. Additional fundraisers will be organized – and we are always looking for volunteers to help! The semester donations make a big difference, but we’ll still need raise additional funds to support our largest financial factor – our 4 professional teaching artists who work with all our students.
Each student has a unique experience while being a member of AVPA Music. Students may take only 1 class at a time, or be involved in several classes and ensembles each semester. It is extremely important that schedules do not conflict and that absences are only in cases of emergency or illness. Communication is key – email Dr. Spano to notify him of any absences or if you have questions about schedules.
Classes will begin on the following dates:
Company Meeting – required of all AVPA Music students. A brief meeting will be held Monday, August 31 at 3:15pm to confirm everyone’s audition plans for the week. Monday, Sept 14 at 3:15pm will be our first official meeting.
Music Theory for new students – an evaluation will be given on Monday, Sept 14 at 3:30pm for all new students who will be required to enroll in the Music Theory I class, which will meet Mondays, 3:40-4:30.
Chamber Singers – first class is Tuesday, Sept. 8, 3:15-5:15pm.
Jazz Ensemble – first class will be Thursday, Sept 10, 1:15-2:30pm. Our regular class time is on Wednesdays, but due to the College Fair and Assembly schedule, our minimum day is Sept 10 instead of Sept 9.
Jazz Combo – first class will be Wednesday, Sept 9, 4:45-6:00pm.
String Ensemble – first class will be Wednesday, Sept 9, 3:10-4:30pm. Our usual start time is 2:45pm, but due to the schedule change this week, we will start after the regular school day ends at 3:00pm.
Sound Recording – all students, new and returning, will meet on Thursday, Sept 10 at 3:15pm. Two class levels will be created for succeeding weeks. The instructor, Tim Juliano, will determine who should enroll in each class.
Composition/Film Scoring – students enrolling in this course will meet on Thursday, Sept 10 at 4:15pm. The instructor, Tim Juliano, will determine the final enrollment and class meeting time for succeeding Thursdays.
Small Ensembles (Drumline, Flute, Guitar, Sax) – primary rehearsal day/time will be Mondays, 4:45-6:00pm. Additional times will be scheduled once students have met and reviewed schedules. First meeting will be Sept 14, 4:30pm.
Convocations are monthly meetings with all AVPA students. These are required for everyone in AVPA. The first will be Wednesday, Sept 16, 1:15-2:00pm, in Robert Frost Auditorium.
Sectionals/Lessons – we will require sections in Marching/Concert Band and Jazz Ensemble to attend regular coaching sessions with Dr. Spano and Dr. Brennan on Wednesdays, 2:45-4:30pm (concurrent with String Ensemble). These will be announced in advance and in coordination with student schedules. Individual private lessons during this time period will occasionally be available as well.
Credit: All AVPA Music students will be enrolled in CCHS 7th Period with Dr. Spano (AVPA Music Production). This gives each student high school credit for their work in AVPA. Some classes are also for credit through West Los Angeles College. This semester those in Jazz Ensemble/Combo will receive credit. There will be enrollment forms handed out soon.
Music Faculty & Productions
We are pleased to announce a new faculty member for AVPA Music. Lauren Hayes will be joining us as Co-Director of Chamber Singers. She is a colleague of Danielle Koplinka-Loehr, who’s duties with the CCUSD elementary and CCMS choral programs precludes her from working with us this year.
Dr. Tania Fleischer continues as our String Ensemble Director. Tim Juliano will continue to teach the Sound Recording classes, as well as developing an expanded Composition and Film Scoring class this year. Dr. David Brennan returns to coach students in the Jazz Ensemble, teach sectionals and lessons, and direct the Jazz Combo.
Our scheduled performances are:
Friday, Aug. 28, 6:45pm – Jazz Combo at Fiesta La Ballona
Fall Friday football games – Marching Band
Sunday, Sept. 20 – Jazz Combo at Culver City Affair of the Arts
Saturday, Oct. 19 – Jazz Combo at CCEF Sip for Our Schools
Thursday, Oct. 29, 7pm, Frost – AVPA Music Fall Concert
Saturday, Nov. 6 – Marching Band at La Ballona Festival
Friday, Dec. 11, 7pm, Frost – AVPA Music Winter Concert
Thursday, Feb. 19 – CCUSD District Music Festival (TBA)
March 11-13, 18-19 – AVPA Spring Musical
Saturday, April 16 – Music in the Parks Festival
Friday, April 22 – L. A. Master Chorale High School Choir Festival at Disney Hall (Chamber Singers)
One additional rehearsal will be scheduled by the Master Chorale
Friday, May 20 – AVPA Music Showcase
Friday, May 27 – AVPA Music Spring Concert
Saturday, June 4 – AVPA Java Gala VIII at the Kirk Douglas Theatre
Sunday, June 5 – AVPA Graduation and Awards
To be scheduled/tentative:
Holiday Tree Lighting events with Chamber Singers – likely to be Dec. 3 and 4
AVPA Cabaret Night – January 22-24 TBA
SCSBOA Concert Band Festival – Spring date TBA
School assemblies, school/community events, and additional performances are announced as scheduled
Note: Jazz Combo has been invited to perform/demonstrate instruments for the Elementary Music Meeting on Tuesday, Sept 1, 7pm, at Farragut Elementary. Another performance for La Ballona is tentatively schedule for Sept 10.
Bulletin Board at www.avpa.org (for Music and AVPA General information/announcements)