Inspiring and empowering student to build a compassionate and creative community
through innovative and challenging arts education.
Culver City High School’s Academy of Visual & Performing Arts (AVPA) is a "specialized secondary program" created in 1996 through a grant from the state of California with major support from Sony Pictures Entertainment. The program offers classes in departments of Music, Theatre, Visual Art, Film, and Dance that occur after the regular school day at Culver City HS has ended. Culver City HS also offers regular day classes in Music, Visual Art, Film, and Theatre that also count as credits towards an AVPA Certificate of Completion. Dance is the only department offered as part of AVPA but not during the regular school day. The other 4 departments are led by certificated teachers who teach that subject full-time at Culver City HS. Additional adjunct faculty are brought in to teach workshops, classes, lead productions and exhibitions, or to work on projects with students. These professional artists include the head of the Dance department. Classes during the school day are open to all students and only have certain prerequisites if required for higher ability levels, but not by audition. There is no tuition, though families are asked to donate $100 per semester to the AVPA Foundation, a non-profit 501(c)3 organization, or to pay materials fees.
2013 - 2014 AVPA Students
The Academy student has an opportunity to:
- Graduate with between 10-15 courses completed in their major
- Receive college credit for some courses (UC/CSU approved)
- Learn from professional teaching staff
- Practice their craft using state-of-the-art technology and facilities
- Access internships and scholarships
- Participate in many productions and projects each year (25 per year across all four majors)
- Be part of a dedicated and motivated student population
- Receive teacher/parent communication and guidance, as well as business, community, and higher education support
- Make connections with the professional world and institutions of higher education
For more information, please download the brochure below: